Dustin Poirier Prefers Title-Eliminator, Fight With Nate Diaz In UFC Return

    ByRoss Markey

    May 16, 2022
    Dustin Poirier

    Dustin Poirier has revealed that the UFC approached him with an offer to fight against former interim welterweight titleholder, Colby Covington in July, however, maintains that he prefers the opportunity to land a title-eliminator at 155lbs, or a long-awaited fight against Nate Diaz in his next Octagon walk. 

    Dustin Poirier, the current #2 ranked lightweight contender, has been out of action since December of last year, headlining UFC 269 against former undisputed lightweight champion, Charles Oliveira – suffering an eventual third round standing rear-naked choke defeat. 

    The former interim titleholder has since, however, campaigned tirelessly for a fight off the back of his loss to the Brazilian – welcoming a slew of opponents, including the above mentioned, Diaz, however, a fight between the duo has so far failed to materialize. 

    See also  Katlyn Chookagian Out, Manon Fiorot Now Meets Jessica Andrade At UFC Paris On September 3.

    Reports have detailed how Diaz, who retains just a single fight on his current UFC deal, must resign a contract with the organization before the UFC move toward booking a fight against Poirier – with the view to matching Diaz and former two-weight champion, Conor McGregor in a trilogy rubber match in the future. 

    Dustin Poirier eyes Nate Diaz or a lightweight title-eliminator next

    Speaking on his fighting future with the organization during an appearance on The MMA Hour, Poirier maintains that a fight against either Diaz, or an unspecified opponent in a title-eliminator at 155lbs is his preferred option.

    “I want a real fighter’s fight,” Dustin Poirier said. “None of this showmanship sh*t, bullsh*t that’s lies, and for clicks and views, you know – I don’t have to hold my tongue anymore Ariel cause I don’t care. I can speak to you, like I speak to you on the phone, I know people are watching – I don’t care.”

    See also  Sean O'Malley Speculates Khabib Nurmagomedov Retired From MMA Due To Charles Oliveira Threat

    “It would be to get closer to a title shot at 155,” Dustin Poirier said regarding his most desired fight next. “if he (Nate Diaz) was an option – to be a number one contender fight at 155, I would probably take that, you know, I would probably take that, depending on the timeline. I don’t want to do it at the end of the year. If they (the UFC) offered me Nate, I would for sure take Nate. … I was offered a number one contender’s fight at 155, but I don’t want to wait that long.”