Francis Ngannou Targets November Return From Injury, Future Fights With Jon Jones, Stipe Miocic

    ByRoss Markey

    Apr 25, 2022
    Francis Ngannou

    Sidelined until the end of the year following a recent surgical procedure to address an ACL tear last year, undisputed UFC heavyweight champion, Francis Ngannou is targeting a comeback before the conclusion of 2022, and admits that future fights with Jon Jones, and a trilogy rubber match with Stipe Miocic interest him.

    Francis Ngannou, the current undisputed heavyweight champion, most recently headlined UFC 270 back in January, where he successfully unified the promotion’s championships with a wrestling and grappling-heavy unanimous decision victory over the then-undefeated interim titleholder, Ciryl Gane. 

    Francis Ngannou is currently in the midst of a six-fight winning streak

    The Batie native confirmed post-fight that he had suffered an ACL tear in the weeks leading up to his title unification bout with Gane, and underwent a surgical procedure at the end of March to address the injury.

    See also  Jorge Masvidal Accuses 'False' Conor McGregor Of Steroid Use: 'I'll Break His Face'

    As per his manager and agent, Marquel Martin, Ngannou is expected to be sidelined for at least eight months, with the Cameroon native also completing his contractual obligations with the organization to boot with his outing against Gane.

    Confirming his intentions to return to combat sports before the conclusion of the year during an appearance on The MMA Hour, Ngannou outlined dates in either November or December for a return to active competition.”

    “Potentially (in) November, but more likely in December,” Francis Nganno said of a timeframe for his return to active competition. 

    Ngannou’s targeted return comes off the back of multiple reports detailing how the promotion had offered bout agreements to both the aforenoted former organizational champions, Jones and Miocic – for a July interim heavyweight title fight.

    See also  Report - Marlon Vera vs. Dominick Cruz Targeted For UFC on ESPN+ 70 Headliner On August 13.

    Ngannou has also recently noted his interest in a transition to professional boxing to fight WBC champion, Tyson Fury, however, has not closed the door on future fights with Jones, as well as a third fight with Ohio veteran, Miocic.

    “Tyson Fury is not my last fight,” Francis Ngannou said. “I want to keep fighting. After Tyson Fury, there’s still a lot of fights out there. There’s still Jon Jones, there’s a Stipe (Miocic) trilogy. There’s still big fights I can do in the UFC, and I’d really like that to happen.”