Despite the extremely short notice turnaround to face Drew Dober this weekend at UFC Vegas 50 – surging lightweight prospect, Terrance McKinney claims he’s “more ready than ever” to share the Octagon with the wily veteran.
McKinney, undefeated in his last five consecutively, replaces an injured, Ricky Glenn and tackles Dober – just two weeks removed from his completely one-sided rear-naked choke win over Fares Ziam at UFC Vegas 49.
The Chicago native had finally landed his pairing with Ziam after multiple failed pairings for his sophomore UFC bout, and when tasked with defending an early takedown, McKinney stuffed, and scrambled – eventually setting up a rather innovative rear-naked choke to land his second Octagon triumph.
In June of last year at UFC 262, McKinney, making his Octagon bow – turned in the fastest finish in lightweight history – finishing Matt Frevola with a beautifully placed one-two in just seven seconds.
Speaking with Current MMA reporter, Bradley Hall during his weight-cut ahead of tomorrow’s UFC Vegas 50 weigh-ins, McKinney admitted that he feeling overjoyed to land such a quickfire turnaround following a period of relative inactivity after his UFC debut.
“I knew we’d push my name if any of these top guys fell out of any of these big fights,” Terrance McKinney said. “I’m more ready than ever (to fight Drew Dober), I just fought, I’m in incredible shape right now. It felt amazing getting that quick turnaround after not fighting for so long – it was boring. This is what I truly love to do.”
McKinney maintained that he plans on taking at least up to two months off following his outing against Dober this weekend at the UFC Apex facility, but flirted with another short notice entry in the future should the promotion make him an irresistible offer.
“(I’ll) take at least two months off after this one,” Terrance McKinney said. “But If they (the UFC) hit me and pay up, I’ll always say, ‘yes’.”
Beyond his outing with Dober this weekend, McKinney plans to continually pace his way though the lightweight ranks with a steady ascension up the 155lbs ladder and pecking order.
“They’ll (opponents) make they’re way to me as I climb up the ladder,” Terrance McKinney said. “Like I always say, this is all God’s doing, he’ll show me who’s next for me when the time comes.”
UFC Vegas 50 takes place on March 12. from the UFC Apex facility in Las Vegas, Nevada – with a light heavyweight headliner between one-time title chaser, the #5 ranked, Thiago Santos, and the #6 rated, Magomed Ankalaev on deck.