Rafael dos Anjos Believes Timing Is Ideal For Reworked Clash Against Conor McGregor

    ByRoss Markey

    Mar 7, 2022
    Rafael dos Anjos

    Off the back of an impressive unanimous decision victory over Renato Moicano in the co-main event of UFC 272 on Saturday, former undisputed lightweight champion, Rafael dos Anjos believes a summer timeline for a reworked scrap opposite former duel-weight UFC champion, Conor McGregor is ideal.

    dos Anjos, who was scheduled to meet with Rafael Fiziev at the lightweight limit over the course of five rounds up until early last week, saw that pairing shelved for the second time, after Fiziev tested positive for COVID-19.

    As a result, dos Anjos’ compatriot, the above mentioned, Moicano accepted a 160lbs catchweight matchup on just four days’ notice, over the course of five rounds.

    Lasting the entire 25-minute distance in a gruelling pairing opposite the former champion, Moicano saw his recent run halted by dos Anjos – who has now managed to take victories in his last two.

    See also  Dana White Confirms Joanna Jedrzejczyk Will 'Without A Doubt' Land In UFC Hall of Fame

    Niteroi native, dos Anjos currently sits at #6 in the lightweight pile following a November 2020 short notice main event win over the now-retired, Paul Felder, and immediately following his win over Moicano, first suggested a BMF title showdown against welterweight contender, Jorge Masvidal.

    However, speaking with assembled media following his win at UFC 272, dos Anjos maintained he wished to remain active – and suggested that a reworked pairing with McGregor, would be ideal for the summer, given the latter’s earmarked return following a July 2021 leg injury.

    “I think the moment we live in right now, that fight (against Conor McGregor) would make a lot of sense,” Rafael dos Anjos said. “I was on a 16-month layoff. Conor (McGregor) broke his leg and is coming back in the summer, I think. That would make sense. The division is kind of crazy right now and I think that fight would make a lot of sense. … That would be a big money fight, of course.”

    See also  Karolina Kowalkiewicz Admits She Planned MMA Retirement With UFC Vegas 56 Loss

    “We have a history, too,” Rafael dos Anjos added. “Like I said, I’m looking for names that make me want to go to the gym and train. It’s been so many years in this game. I don’t want to go fight names that don’t interest me, that don’t push me to go to the gym. I’m 37-years-old. (I’ve) fought pretty much everybody in two divisions.” (Transcribed by MMA Junkie)

    dos Anjos was initially scheduled to attempt his second defense of his undisputed lightweight title against then-featherweight titleholder, McGregor, back in March 2016 in the main event of UFC 196, however, a fractured metatarsal suffered just two weeks before the event saw the bout shelved.

    See also  Jairzinho Rozenstruik And Alexander Volkov Comment On ‘Disappointing’ TKO Stoppage

    Multiple reports also suggested that the promotion were working on booking dos Anjos and McGregor in an interim UFC welterweight title fight in Brazil for UFC 224 back in May 2018, until McGregor was involved in an infamous bus attack at the Barclays Center ahead of UFC 223 the month prior.