Dustin Poirier Reveals He Has Agreed To Fight Nate Diaz On Less Than 6-Weeks Notice

    ByRoss Markey

    Jan 4, 2022

    Former interim UFC lightweight champion, Dustin Poirier has confirmed he has received an offer, which he has subsequently accepted, to fight Nate Diaz on less than six-weeks notice at the welterweight limit.

    Poirier, who headlined UFC 269 in December, suffered a third round standing rear-naked choke loss to reigning lightweight titleholder, Charles Oliveira, bringing an end to his three-fight winning spree – which included a pair of victories over former two-weight champion, Conor McGregor. 

    With speculation regarding Poirier’s future, both at lightweight, and in fighting as a whole, rife, the Lafayette native claimed that the only fight that currently interested him was a grudge match against once-targeted opponent, Diaz next.

    As a result, the Stockton fan favorite claimed he would fight Poirier next – as soon as January, however, in the time since, the pair have exchanged barbs on social media, with the former suggesting Diaz was no longer willing to fight him, while Diaz claimed Poirier was no longer “worthy” of fighting him.

    See also  Deiveson Figueiredo Calls For Increase In Fight Purse, Threatens To Leave Flyweight Division

    However, speculation began to mount that there had been a breakthrough in an attempt to square the two off this year, with Poirier somewhat cryptically tweeting, “I’m in, let’s go!!!”.

    This Tuesday, however, Poirier had all but confirmed he will be clashing with Diaz next, claiming that he had received an offer recently to fight Diaz on less than just six-weeks notice, at the welterweight limit during an interview with THE Fight host, Teddy Atlas.

    Honestly – another thing that kinda got that flame going, is a couple days ago, I got a phone call – but I can’t talk about it,” Dustin Poirier said. “It’s a very short notice thing. Something I would hate to do is stack things against myself and take a fight on short notice, but, we’ll see what happens, man. I don’t want to give too much ‘cause I don’t know what I can say. No contract has been signed yet, but if this goes go through, I’m gonna take it.

    See also  Twitter Reacts To Volkov’s Controversial TKO Stoppage Over Rozenstruik In Round One

    Hey, look! I don’t owe these guys (the UFC) nothing, man, I’m not biting my tongue,” Dustin Poirier said. “It is Nate Diaz. And just like he got on Twitter – I’m not gonna say what card, I’m not gonna say a date or whatever, but he got on Twitter talking, everybody’s a tough guy. This guy really fights – and I’m a fan of him. But everybody’s a tough guy on the internet.

    I can’t tell you that,” Dustin Poirier replied when pressed on when the fight could possibly occur. “But not a lot. Because fans are too good, they’re gonna know exactly what card, you know – I don’t wanna get that far (ahead). Less than six weeks for sure. I said yes, now we’re waiting on him.” 

    Poirier admittance that a fight between the two is currently being targeted for less than six week’s time, it appears the opening two flagship events of the year, UFC 270, and UFC 271 appear to be the most realistic option, particularly the latter of which.

    See also  Report - Zabit Magomedsharipov Alerts UFC Of Decision To Retire From Active Competition

    UFC 271 takes place on February 12. from the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas – with an undisputed UFC middleweight title fight between Israel Adesanya and Robert Whittaker booked to headline.

    Without a particularly high-profile co-headliner for the event booked, as opposed to UFC 270 which features a flyweight title trilogy bout between Brandon Moreno, and Deiveson Figueiredo – it appears Poirier vs. Diaz may land on the February card.

    LATEST NEWS