Dustin Poirier Adresses Donation Offer To Charles Oliveira: ‘Of Course I’m Gonna Honor It’

    ByRoss Markey

    Jan 4, 2022

    Former interim UFC lightweight champion, Dustin Poirier has provided an update on a donation offer he made to reigning champion, Charles Oliveira following their UFC 269 title fight last month. 

    Poirier, who suffered a third round standing rear-naked choke loss to Oliveira, immediately offered to make a charitable donation to a project in the defending champion’s native Sao Paulo in Brazil, to the sum of $20,000. 

    I saw a video of him (Charles Oliveira) showing where he grew up and where his mom cooked dinner for him,” Dustin Poirier said post-UFC 269. “I don’t know if it was an old video and saw some of the sights of where he grew up and just how little they had and it came to me this week, I thought I was going to let him know, win, lose, or draw, talk to him after that me (sic) and the Good Fight Foundation would donate $20,000 to his city in Brazil and put the money wherever they think it needs to be.

    See also  Dana White Confirms Joanna Jedrzejczyk Will 'Without A Doubt' Land In UFC Hall of Fame

    However, Oliveira recently claimed that Poirier nor his team had been in contact since the pair’s December lightweight title showdown. And claimed he had been asked in his hometown if he had first received the donation as intended, or if he had even pocketed the sum himself, maintaining the donation had never arrived.

    I just tell people that the money didn’t arrive yet, but if Dustin (Poirier) really wants to make a donation and needs those bureaucracy documents, I’ll pick some local project in my area,” Charles Oliveira told. “The most important thing is helping people who need to be helped, but tell you the truth, after all the headaches I’ve been dealing with due to that Octagon proposal, I really don’t know if it was good or not.” 

    See also  UFC 275: Teixeira vs. Prochazka - Weigh-In Results

    With reports emerging regarding Oliveira’s comments and the status of the donation, Poirier addressed the situation, maintaining he would wholeheartedly honor the donation offer, and explained how he and his team were waiting on confirmation on which project Oliveira wishes to send the sum to.

    For anyone asking about the $20k donation I promised, of course (sic) I’m going to honor it!” Dustin Poirier tweeted. “We have been in contact with Charles (Oliveira) and his team. We are waiting for them to figure out what project they want it donated to.

    See also  UFC 278 - Promotion 'Working' On Jose Aldo vs. Merab Dvalishvili Battle For August 20. Event

    LATEST NEWS