Charles Oliveira Claims Dustin Poirier Has Yet To Honor Charity Donation: ‘The Money Didn’t Arrive’

    ByRoss Markey

    Jan 3, 2022

    Reigning UFC lightweight champion, Charles Oliveira has claimed that despite an immediate charitable donation offer from opponent, Dustin Poirier following UFC 269 last month, a sum has yet to arrive from the Louisianan’s end. 

    Oliveira, who headlined UFC 269 in December against former interim lightweight champion, Poirier, secured the first successful defense of his 155lbs crown courtesy of an impressive, eventual third round standing rear-naked choke win.

    Immediately following the bout, Poirier, who embraced Oliveira in the Octagon, offered to donate a sum of money to a charity of the Brazilian’s choice in his native Sao Paulo.

    I saw a video of him (Charles Oliveira) showing where he grew up and where his mom cooked dinner for him,” Poirier said post-UFC 269. “I don’t know if it was an old video and saw some of the sights of where he grew up and just how little they had and it came to me this week, I thought I was going to let him know, win, lose, or draw, talk to him after that me and the Good Fight Foundation would donate $20,000 to his city in Brazil and put the money wherever they think it needs to be.

    See also  Dustin Poirier Predicts Fourth Round Stoppage Win Over Nate Diaz Ahead Of Potential Fight

    Oliveira, who has confirmed he has not had contact with Poirier since the night of their lightweight title showdown, attempted to clear up the situation regarding the donation, after many in his home country had questioned if the donation had arrived, or if he had actually pocketed the sum himself. 

    I just tell people that the money didn’t arrive yet, but if Dustin (Poirier) really wants to make a donation and needs those bureaucracy documents, I’ll pick some local project in my area,” Oliveira told Sherdog.com. “The most important thing is helping people who need to be helped, but tell you the truth, after all the headaches I’ve been dealing with due to that Octagon proposal, I really don’t know if it was good or not.” 

    See also  Jorge Masvidal Claims Conor McGregor Is 'Scared' To Fight Him: 'I'm The Biggest Fight Of Your Life'

    Interestingly, Poirier himself claimed that former two-weight champion, Conor McGregor failed to honor a $500,000 donation he offered to the Lafayette native’s, Good Fight Foundation following their January rematch on ‘Fight Island’.

    Ahead of their July rubber match, the topic became a focal point of the pair’s pre-fight animosity, with McGregor claiming his donation offer was simply that, a donation – not a “debt” – before ultimately donating the sum to the Boys & Girls Club of Acadiana in Poirier’s hometown of Lafayette.

    LATEST NEWS