Two-time UFC welterweight title challenger, Jorge Masvidal maintains that despite suffering a recent injury which will sideline him for numerous weeks — he would still prefer to score a rescheduled pairing with the #3 ranked, Leon Edwards if at all possible — rather than switch his focus to former interim champion and past teammate, Colby Covington.
Reports emerged last week detailing that Masvidal had been forced to withdraw from his UFC 269 grudge match against Birmingham native, Edwards next month on December 11. due to an undisclosed injury. And as a result, the pairing had been shelved with Edwards removed from the card entirely.
Edwards has since gone on record to confirm that he would be taking time off to spend with his family following Masvidal’s withdrawal, and would be hoping to score a championship rematch against common-opposition, Kamaru Usman in his next outing instead.
Despite electing against disclosing the nature of his injury along with its severity, Masvidal outlined a March timeframe for his potential return to the Octagon, as well as insisting that he would still prefer to fight Edwards next, but if the latter refuses, he would then switch his focus to former friend, Covington.
“If [Leon Edwards] says no, then I’m going to pass, then Colby’s [Covington] b*tch-ass it is,” Masvidal said on The MMA Hour. “First time I’m coming off two losses [in the UFC], I’ve got to make sure I get in there healthy and well to give him my all. If he [Edwards] wants to wait until February or March, I can decapitate him on site for the world to see. If he doesn’t, what can I do? We will meet eventually.“
For Masvidal, the veteran Floridian was slated to make his first Octagon walk next month since an April UFC 261 headliner against the above-mentioned, Usman — where he suffered his second consecutive loss to the Auchi native in the form of a brutal second round knockout.
For Edwards, the Team Renagade BJJ & MMA staple lodged his ninth victory from his 10 most recent Octagon walks back in June at UFC 263 — taking home a unanimous decision win against common-foe, Nate Diaz in the first five round, non-title, non-main event in the history of the organization.
- Report – Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson Targeted For UFC Event On March 26.
- Clay Guida Offers Nate Diaz Rematch Following UFC Vegas 44 Win: ‘I’ll Give Him Another Chance’
- Aljamain Sterling Praises ‘Phenomenal’ Jose Aldo, Believes He Has ‘The Tools’ To Defeat Him
- Nate Diaz ‘Disrespected’ By UFC’s Offer Of Khamzat Chimaev: ‘Don’t Even Talk My Name’
- Sean O’Malley Claims He’s The ‘Unranked Champ’ At Bantamweight Ahead Of UFC 269