Justin Gaethje states that he was preparing to face Michael Chandler on May 15th, but was instead replaced by Charles Oliveira, for reasons unknown to himself. He then stated that it lit a fire under him, and has been waiting for an opponent ever since.
On May 15th, Michael Chandler lost to Charles Oliveira, who is now the UFC lightweight champion. Meanwhile, Justin Gaethje is still without an opponent, with his last fight being against the former lightweight champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov, back in October.
In an interview with TMZ Sports, Dana White stated that the fight was a possibility and made sense, although it was not official yet. Chandler himself also stated separately that the bout seemed likely in the near future and all signs point towards the original plan now being back on track.
“There’s a few opportunities,” Dana White said. “He could fight Gaethje, we’ll see. We don’t have anything done yet, but that makes sense and that’d be a fun fight. Imagine Chandler and Gaethje.”
It’s worth noting that Ali Abdelaziz, the manager of Justin Gaethje, stated that Gaethje would only fight Michael Chandler if it was on July 10th. This is of course the date that Conor McGregor v Dustin Poirier 3 takes place.
What do you think fight fans, does this fight go down in 2021? Vote below!
- Sean Strickland Claims He Would Take A Misdemeanour To Punch ‘Smug, Cocky Motherf*cker’ Luke Rockhold
- Dana White: Stipe Miocic Has Accepted A Fight Against Jon Jones
- Colby Covington Eyes Future Middleweight Move: “We’re Going To Beat Israel Adesanya”
- Dana White Unsure How A.J. McKee Would Perform In The UFC: “When His Contract Is Up He’ll Have To Call”
- Luke Rockhold Returns, Meets Sean Strickland At UFC 268 On Nov. 6