Last weekend was a big night for the UFC’s lightweight division, which was on full display at UFC 262. The card featured a vacant title shot between Charles Oliveira and Michael Chandler, with Beneil Dariush and Tony Ferguson also facing off in the co main event.
Charles Oliveira defeated Michael Chandler via TKO in the second round, declaring himself as the new lightweight champion. Beneil Dariush and Tony Ferguson on the other hand went the distance, where Dariush got his hand raised in a clear cut decision victory.
Each Tuesday morning, the UFC rankings are officially updated, and as expected, the most notable changes were in the lightweight division. You can see below the key movement at 155lbs:
https://t.co/54iCeuz2px rankings update:— Current MMA (@current_mma) May 18, 2021
⁃Beneil Dariush #3 LW (+6)
⁃Michael Chandler #4 LW (+-)
⁃Conor McGregor #5 (+1)
⁃Tony Ferguson #6 (-1)
What’s next is unclear for some, but the possibilities are seemingly endless. Tony Ferguson announced this morning that he will not retire, which you can read about here. While Justin Gaethje has been waiting patiently for an opponent, and Michael Chandler will be looking to bounce back. Dariush on the other hand has stated that he will likely be out of action until the end of this year or beginning of 2022. And of course, we have McGregor v Poirier 3 coming up, in a fight that will likely determine who will be Oliveira’s first title defense.
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”