With a record of 13-2, riding an 8 fight win streak and undefeated in the UFC, Giga Chikadze is making a name for himself in the MMA community. Last night, he accelerated his status by taking out UFC veteran, Cub Swanson in the first round with a body kick.
Next week, the UFC is scheduled to hold another fight card. However, with Diego Sanchez dropping out and being released by the UFC, it’s looking in jeopardy. Looking at ufc.com the card now has just one bout assigned to it, and there was no mention of the card on last nights broadcast. This suggests that the event is either not going ahead, or in desperate need of some late replacements.
Speaking to the media at the UFC Vegas Post Fight press conference, Giga told the press that he’d be willing to not only step in and fight next weekend, but he wants to headline.
“I heard there is no main event next week,” Giga said. “So, it will be my pleasure to headline the event. I’m staying in Vegas, I’m not going nowhere. I’m in shape, no injuries. If Dana and Sean needs myself, I’m here and I can fight anybody. That’s what I want.”
The featherweight contender then doubled down on his claims, tweeting Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone and calling for a fight with him.
‘Cowboy’ is looking to make a return to the lightweight division and it has been reported that he is looking to stay on the card and find another opponent. Giga typically fights in the featherweight division, so a lightweight bout next weekend could well be feasible, without him having to cut too much weight.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”