Back in October 2019, Robert Whittaker and Israel Adesanya faced off for the UFC Middleweight title. It turned out to be Adesanya’s time, who knocked the former champion out in the second round and retained his undefeated record.
Since then, Robert Whittaker has beaten Darren Till, Jared Cannonier and Kelvin Gastelum. Now 13-1 in his last 14 UFC fights, Whittaker has seemingly earned a shot at the title again, after Adesanya vs Vettori 2 plays out.
Just last month, Israel Adesanya’s 20 fight win streak in MMA came to an end, at the hands of Light Heavyweight champion, Jan Blachowicz. Speaking to Submission Radio, Robert Whittaker discussed the affect that this can have on not only Adesanya, but his future opponents.
“I think the affect of him losing his invincibility bubble will have less of an affect on him and more of an affect on the people he versus,” Robert Whittaker told Submission Radio.
“Hype is real,” Whittaker continued. “There are certain fighters that ride hype and there are certain fighters that believe in the effect of it. Like Anderson Silva, when he was running through people, he had that aura of invincibility. Then once he was beat, people realised he can be beat.”
Israel Adesanya will defend his title on June 12 against Marvin Vettori at UFC 263. If successful, he will likely rematch Robert Whittaker later this year.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”