Back in December 2019, Kamaru Usman successfully defended his title against one of his biggest rivals, Colby Covington. It was an instant classic and ended via TKO in the fifth and final round.
The fight didn’t come without controversy, at least if you ask Colby Covington. He states that Usman and the referee cheated him out of the fight, as well as the UFC Performance Institute “poisoning” him with bad chicken before the bout. In an interview with Submission Radio, they asked the former interim champion to elaborate on this:
“They sent me some chicken like two days before the weigh in,” Covington said. They sent it by Uber from the UFC PI to the Trump Hotel. But the UFC PI, that’s on like the other side of Vegas and then you’ve got the Trump Hotel that’s on the end of the strip. So the time the Uber got all the way to the Trump Hotel, obviously the chicken was going to be spoiled, that’s like a 30 or 40 minute ride in the Las Vegas heat. So of course it was going to be spoiled, but I didn’t really think about it because my mind was going so many different ways with interviews, media, getting ready for a weight cut, and getting ready for a fight. So I didn’t really think about it. But now putting two and two together afterward, I already know what the reason for it was. But that’s not going to happen again guys.”
Covington hopes to rematch Usman this August, and put any controversy to bed that he believes came out of the first fight. However, nothing is official yet and Usman stated at the UFC 261 post fight press conference that he wants contenders to keep active and give him a reason to fight them.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”