Last weekend, many MMA fans were shocked by the manor in which Jorge Masvidal suffered his first KO loss in the UFC. This was his 50th professional MMA bout and officially the second time he’d ever been finished due to strikes. However, the last time was back in 2008 and in nowhere near the same fashion.
Speaking to Submission Radio, Covington expressed how little Kamaru Usman’s win impressed him, referring to ‘Gamebred’ as a journeyman with no chin. Covington also went on to say that no commission would sanction him to face Masvidal based on their skill difference, and that he no longer has any desires to face his former teammate.
“Look at the last two fights he [Usman] just got with the journeyman, ‘Street Judas’ Masvidal. The guys got double digit losses, a bum. He’s a fragile dude, he has no chin. Everybody already knew that in the lead up to the fight. The guys a nobody, he got his ten seconds of fame. What’s his record in the last couple fights? He’s barely a 50/50 fighter.”
Dana White stated at the post fight press conference that Usman’s next opponent will likely be a rematch with Covington, who hopes to have another chance at the belt in August.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”