Last month, Francis Ngannou captured the UFC heavyweight belt at 34 years old, by knocking out Stipe Miocic in the second round. He made his debut in December 2015 and since then has fought a who’s who of UFC heavyweights on his way to the top.
In the background, Jon Jones has been training for a heavyweight run, after spending years as the most dominant light heavyweight in UFC history. A fight between Ngannou and Jones has been on the radar even since before the African captured the belt, and now it seems like the perfect time to make it happen.
Unfortunately though, Dana White recently stated that Jones wanted $30 million guaranteed in order to except the bout. A statement that Jones refuted via Twitter, asking where Dana White had gotten this false information from.
Speaking to BT Sport, Francis Ngannou says he is confident that Jones is still next, and any issues will be resolved in order to get the deal done.
"I truly believe this fight is gonna happen!"— UFC on BT Sport (@btsportufc) April 25, 2021
Despite the reports, @Francis_Ngannou tells @CarolinePearce that he's still confident the heavyweight title fight against JonnyBones will come together. pic.twitter.com/CoF5UwnII7
“I still believe it’s going to be Jon. A fight of this calibre takes time to get done. Sometimes it gets frustrating, but it is the fight to make,” Ngannou said.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”