Before UFC Vegas 16, Jack Hermansson was ranked #4 and originally scheduled to fight Darren Till, who was ranked #6. However, Till pulled out due to ongoing knee issues and the opportunity eventually fell on Marvin Vettori’s lap.
Vettori stepped in and defeated Hermansson via Unanimous Decision. This increased his ranking from #13 to #5. Consequently, this knocked Hermansson down to #6, which meant that Till’s ranking increased above both of them to #4, despite being the only one that didn’t fight.
This upset not just fans, but fighters too. Most notably, Vettori himself, who says that the ranking is “bulls***.”
Darren “Un” Til tweeted and moved up 2 slots in the rankings . 🤦🏾♂️ @darrentill2 🧐— Derek Brunson (@DerekBrunson) December 9, 2020
Darren Till withdrew from the fight with Hermansson, Vettori took his place and won, and Till gets bumped up in the UFC rankings ahead of both of them. Outstanding work as ever from the panel of experts— smoogy (@smoogymma) December 8, 2020
The division’s Champion, Israel Adesanya has currently verbally agreed to face Light Heavyweight Champion, Jan Blachowicz. This means that there is time for Middleweight contenders to stake their claim for the next shot at the title.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”