Justin Gaethje is coming off a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov, in what was his opportunity to become the UFC Lightweight Champion. Since then, Khabib announced his retirement, leaving questions over whether the title will be vacated.
Conor McGregor is set to return against Dustin Poirier next month, but Dana White has announced that it will not be for a title. But after Khabib confirmed his competitive days are behind him, this could change by January 23rd.
In an interview with ‘The Schmo’, Gaethje states that he would like to face the winner of McGregor v Poirier, which would be even better if a title was on the line.
“So what do you want to see happen with the Lightweight strap, to move forward, for your division?” The Schmo asked.
“Well, like you said, I’m number one, so of course I want to fight for that f****** belt,” Gaethje responded. “That’s why I’m here. You know, Poirier and McGregor are fighting soon, I want to fight the winner of that. I wholeheartedly believe that you should be coming off a win to fight for a belt, so my job now is to get a win.”
“That’s a fair rule, so you want to wait for the winner of that before you step inside the cage again?” The Schmo asked.
“I want to fight for the belt and if it’s the winner of that fight, then I would in turn need to beat somebody first,” Gaethje states. “But, I’ll definitely just fight the winner for the belt, I’m down for that too.”
Poirier holds a win over Gaethje, and McGregor has not mixed his words when it comes to Justin and his manager, Ali Abdelaziz. However, it’s currently unclear what’s next for the future of the Lightweight division.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”