Stipe Miocic is currently the UFC Heavyweight Champion. However, he has not fought anyone outside of Daniel Cormier since January 2018, when he defeated Francis Ngannou via Unanimous Decision.
Since then, Ngannou has fought five times, winning his last four via KO/TKO. Ngannou has long believed he’s secured a chance to rematch Miocic for the title. But a trilogy between Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier has kept him on the sidelines.
In an interview with MMA Fighting, Ngannou details his frustrations.
“My only thing with that trilogy is that [Stipe] has been holding the heavyweight division up for a long time,” Ngannou said. “There hasn’t been a title fight in this division for two years except for those between Stipe and D.C. and other than that there hasn’t been a fight with contenders, which is what contenders fight for. To fight for the title but there is no title going on in this division. I don’t how long that is going to last. I’m sure it’s not just me saying that. Other contenders who also feel the same way because if there’s not a title fight, contenders they’re not moving on. They’re just fighting without purpose. Without a real goal.
“Because when you’re a prospect, you fight to become a contender. When you’re a contender, you fight to be champion. Now, heavyweight contenders right now don’t really know what they’re fighting for. For those who are fighting, obviously. In my case, I’m not fighting. I can’t even dare say I’m fighting.”
“At the end of the day, Stipe doesn’t decide much,” Ngannou said. “I think the UFC is in charge of things. That’s why my last fight, we requested that to be an interim [title] fight so we can fight for something and if that would have been for an interim fight, I’m sure I would be fighting by now.
“Obviously, Stipe on his end wants to do things his way, which is what everyone wants to do. But it’s not for him to regulate the situation in the division. It’s not his duty.”
“I just want to fight next,” Ngannou said. “It’s been seven months since my last fight. I don’t know exactly for sure when is my next fight. It’s kind of like really hard to find motivation and everything. Even when you’re training and don’t have motivation. It’s kind of a little bit hard.”
Neither fighter is currently scheduled to fight, but it has been reported that Miocic won’t be ready until March.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”