After his loss to Daniel Cormier back in 2017, Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson stepped down from the sport and removed himself from USADA testing.
Earlier this year, ‘Rumble’ re entered the testing pool and announced he would be returning to the 205lbs division. Naturally, it was assumed that this would be in the UFC, as he was still under contract with the promotion.
However, earlier today, Ariel Helwani broke the news that surprised everyone. That Johnson was indeed returning, but under the Bellator banner, after parting ways with the UFC.
Anthony “Rumble” Johnson is headed to Bellator.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) December 9, 2020
“Rumble” has agreed to terms with Bellator, per sources. He hasn’t signed his deal just yet, but he’s expected to imminently, sources say.
Johnson recently mutually parted ways with the UFC, according to sources.
As much has been confirmed by Johnson himself and Bellator President, Scott Coker on Twitter.
This has disappointed many, as with the departure of Jon Jones from the division, many believed that Johnson would pose a strong threat to the title. He will however have some fresh and exciting matchups in Bellator.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”