After his loss to Daniel Cormier back in 2017, Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson stepped down from the sport and removed himself from USADA testing.
Earlier this year, ‘Rumble’ re entered the testing pool and announced he would be returning to the 205lbs division. Naturally, it was assumed that this would be in the UFC, as he was still under contract with the promotion.
However, earlier today, Ariel Helwani broke the news that surprised everyone. That Johnson was indeed returning, but under the Bellator banner, after parting ways with the UFC.
Anthony “Rumble” Johnson is headed to Bellator.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) December 9, 2020
“Rumble” has agreed to terms with Bellator, per sources. He hasn’t signed his deal just yet, but he’s expected to imminently, sources say.
Johnson recently mutually parted ways with the UFC, according to sources.
As much has been confirmed by Johnson himself and Bellator President, Scott Coker on Twitter.
This has disappointed many, as with the departure of Jon Jones from the division, many believed that Johnson would pose a strong threat to the title. He will however have some fresh and exciting matchups in Bellator.
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.