Henry Cejudo is one of the few UFC Champions to hold belts in two divisions. After Cejudo defeated Dominic Cruz by TKO back in May, he retired on top and vacated his belts. Since then, Deiveson Figueiredo has become the Flyweight Champion and Petr Yan has become the Bantamweight Champion.
In an interview with ‘The Schmo’, Cejudo said that Figueiredo was just babysitting his belt for him and hinted at a return to the octagon.
“Deiveson Figueiredo, his first title defence at Flyweight, he passed the test with flying colors.” The Schmo said. “What do you make of the performance?”
“I think the only reason why Deiveson Figueiredo is there is because of me.” Cejudo answered. “You know, he’s the lord of nothing. I’m the one that gave him that position, allowing him to babysit my belt. And he’s been a pretty good babysitter in my eyes.
“When you say babysit the belt, you’re teasing all the folks out there.” The Schmo responded. “Is there a chance Henry Cejudo is not retired?”
“Stay tunes to find out.” Cejudo said.
Figueiredo defends his Flyweight title against Brandon Moreno at UFC 256 next week. When asked about the matchup, Cejudo believes that Moreno will exploit a weakness in the new Champion.
“I think he’s going to have a hard time and potentially even lose to Brandon Moreno.” Cejudo said. “All you have to do with a guy like Deiveson Figueiredo is make him grapple for that first round, because he’s cutting a lot of weight. By time that second, third round hits, he’s going to start having that heavy muscle. So again, I’m actually going to pick Brandon Moreno, which he sucks too. But I’m going to pick him to beat Deiveson Figueiredo.”
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”