Earlier in the week, news broke that four time title challenger, Yoel Romero was released form the UFC, and would seek competition elsewhere.
It was first reported by Ariel Helwani of ESPN. Romero’s manager then released a statement to ESPN, stating that it was unexpected.
“While we didn’t expect Romero’s time in the UFC to end like this,” Kawa told ESPN, “we are grateful for the opportunities Dana White, Hunter Campbell and Mick Maynard gave him over the years. He’s ready to move on now and resume his career, and we are already talking to other promotions as we speak.”
At last nights post fight press conference, Dana White told the media that Romero will be the first of many cuts before the end of the year.
“We’re going to go through some serious cuts here.” Dana White said. “At the end of the year, were probably going to have 60 cuts coming up before the first of the year. Yoel has lost four of his last five, he’s 44 years old. You know, our roster is very inflated right now. So, we’re going to have some big cuts coming before the end of the year. You’re going to see a lot of names going here, in the next several weeks.”
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.