Earlier in the week, news broke that four time title challenger, Yoel Romero was released form the UFC, and would seek competition elsewhere.
It was first reported by Ariel Helwani of ESPN. Romero’s manager then released a statement to ESPN, stating that it was unexpected.
“While we didn’t expect Romero’s time in the UFC to end like this,” Kawa told ESPN, “we are grateful for the opportunities Dana White, Hunter Campbell and Mick Maynard gave him over the years. He’s ready to move on now and resume his career, and we are already talking to other promotions as we speak.”
At last nights post fight press conference, Dana White told the media that Romero will be the first of many cuts before the end of the year.
“We’re going to go through some serious cuts here.” Dana White said. “At the end of the year, were probably going to have 60 cuts coming up before the first of the year. Yoel has lost four of his last five, he’s 44 years old. You know, our roster is very inflated right now. So, we’re going to have some big cuts coming before the end of the year. You’re going to see a lot of names going here, in the next several weeks.”
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”