Earlier in the week, news broke that four time title challenger, Yoel Romero was released form the UFC, and would seek competition elsewhere.
It was first reported by Ariel Helwani of ESPN. Romero’s manager then released a statement to ESPN, stating that it was unexpected.
“While we didn’t expect Romero’s time in the UFC to end like this,” Kawa told ESPN, “we are grateful for the opportunities Dana White, Hunter Campbell and Mick Maynard gave him over the years. He’s ready to move on now and resume his career, and we are already talking to other promotions as we speak.”
At last nights post fight press conference, Dana White told the media that Romero will be the first of many cuts before the end of the year.
“We’re going to go through some serious cuts here.” Dana White said. “At the end of the year, were probably going to have 60 cuts coming up before the first of the year. Yoel has lost four of his last five, he’s 44 years old. You know, our roster is very inflated right now. So, we’re going to have some big cuts coming before the end of the year. You’re going to see a lot of names going here, in the next several weeks.”
- Dana White Comments On Mike Perry’s Departure From The UFC: His Contract Expired
- Colby Covington Denies Breaking His Jaw Against Kamaru Usman, Claims X-Rays Were ‘Photoshopped’
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk Promises UFC Return Amid Removal From Rankings: ‘I’ll Be Back Soon’
- Rankings Update – Ex-UFC Champion Jon Jones Drops From Pound-For-Pound Top-3
- Michael Chandler Believes 10-8 Round Against Charles Oliveira Warrants Future Rematch
- Khamzat Chimaev: It’s Impossible To Respect Conor McGregor As A Person
- Israel Adesanya, Robert Whittaker Targeted To Headline UFC 271 In Washington Or Canada
- Exclusive – Nathan Williams Talks Signing With PFL, Predicts Debut Stoppage Win Over Don Madge
- Ex-Champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk Removed From UFC Strawweight Rankings