It was recently rumored that Khamzat Chimaev had tested positive for Covid-19 and was out of his main event with Leon Edwards. However, this was proven to be false, which you can read about HERE.
Unfortunately, it has now been confirmed that it is in fact Leon Edwards who has tested positive for Covid. ESPN MMA have confirmed the news via Ariel Helwani.
You can see the latest messages below.
Per sources, Leon Edwards' (@Leon_edwardsmma) case of Covid-19 was pretty severe. He couldn't train at all, and he lost 12 pounds in four days. He's in the process of recovering at home. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) December 1, 2020
This has happened a few times lately, with many fighters switching opponents and taking on whoever is willing. However, Chimaev has recently struggled to find an opponent and was desperate to fight sooner rather than later. It’s unclear at this point whether to UFC can find him a replacement.
We wish Leon Edwards a speedy recovery.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”