It was recently rumored that Khamzat Chimaev had tested positive for Covid-19 and was out of his main event with Leon Edwards. However, this was proven to be false, which you can read about HERE.
Unfortunately, it has now been confirmed that it is in fact Leon Edwards who has tested positive for Covid. ESPN MMA have confirmed the news via Ariel Helwani.
You can see the latest messages below.
Per sources, Leon Edwards' (@Leon_edwardsmma) case of Covid-19 was pretty severe. He couldn't train at all, and he lost 12 pounds in four days. He's in the process of recovering at home. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) December 1, 2020
This has happened a few times lately, with many fighters switching opponents and taking on whoever is willing. However, Chimaev has recently struggled to find an opponent and was desperate to fight sooner rather than later. It’s unclear at this point whether to UFC can find him a replacement.
We wish Leon Edwards a speedy recovery.
- Paddy ‘The Baddy’ Pimblett signed to the UFC
- Zabit wants to be next in line for a title shot or face Max Holloway
- Islam Makhachev: “I don’t agree on Chandler being in there.”
- NiteTrain on fighting a Nurmagomedov: “I’m about to change their game.”
- VIDEO: Khabib coaches Holland cage-side to become first to take Brunson down in the UFC
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2