The UFC is struggling to keep it’s main events in tact during the pandemic. Just this weekend, both Curtis Blaydes and Kevin Holland have tested positive for Covid-19 and were withdrawn from their bouts.
Reports recently broke from Swedish news outlet Kimura, that Chimaev had tested positive for Covid-19 and his fight with Leon Edwards was in doubt.
Khamzat Chimaev has tested positive for COVID-19 and is OUT of his fight against Leon Edwards.— MMA Island (@MMAisland) November 29, 2020
However, the news was not confirmed. Firstly Ariel Helwani spoke to Leon Edwards team who stated it was the first they were hearing of it.
Leon Edwards’ team said they haven’t been notified yet and the @kimurasweden report was the first they heard about it. Not saying it’s not true but that’s what they said. No word yet from Chimaev’s team. https://t.co/cArHHhpJmH— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 29, 2020
Chimaev’s management team has now stated that it was in fact “fake news”.
Khamzat Chimaev is NOT COVID-19 positive. Fight is still on.— MMA Island (@MMAisland) November 29, 2020
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.