The UFC is struggling to keep it’s main events in tact during the pandemic. Just this weekend, both Curtis Blaydes and Kevin Holland have tested positive for Covid-19 and were withdrawn from their bouts.
Reports recently broke from Swedish news outlet Kimura, that Chimaev had tested positive for Covid-19 and his fight with Leon Edwards was in doubt.
Khamzat Chimaev has tested positive for COVID-19 and is OUT of his fight against Leon Edwards.— MMA Island (@MMAisland) November 29, 2020
However, the news was not confirmed. Firstly Ariel Helwani spoke to Leon Edwards team who stated it was the first they were hearing of it.
Leon Edwards’ team said they haven’t been notified yet and the @kimurasweden report was the first they heard about it. Not saying it’s not true but that’s what they said. No word yet from Chimaev’s team. https://t.co/cArHHhpJmH— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 29, 2020
Chimaev’s management team has now stated that it was in fact “fake news”.
Khamzat Chimaev is NOT COVID-19 positive. Fight is still on.— MMA Island (@MMAisland) November 29, 2020
- Paddy ‘The Baddy’ Pimblett signed to the UFC
- Zabit wants to be next in line for a title shot or face Max Holloway
- Islam Makhachev: “I don’t agree on Chandler being in there.”
- NiteTrain on fighting a Nurmagomedov: “I’m about to change their game.”
- VIDEO: Khabib coaches Holland cage-side to become first to take Brunson down in the UFC
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2