Alistair Overeem is currently in the midst of what he describes as one last title run. He is a former World Champion of Strikeforce, K-1, DREAM and more. However, he is yet to capture the biggest prize in MMA, a UFC title.
Last night, Curtis Blaydes and Derrick Lewis were set to weigh in, so that they could fight tonight at UFC Vegas 15. Unfortunately, Blaydes tested positive for covid-19 and was withdrawn from the bout.
Lewis was left without an opponent, and questions were asked whether an alternate could be found. Overeem responded to a twitter user, pointing to his name when asked if anyone was willing to step in on late notice.
“No one wanted to get knocked out by Derrick Lewis on short notice?” A user asked.
Unfortunately, the weigh ins were already underway when the news broke, and it was too late notice to find a replacement who could go through the necessary precautions to fight.
Rumours are now circulating that Derrick Lewis will be booked to face Jairzinho Rozenstruik next month instead, but Ariel Helwani of ESPN has stated that there are no truth to these rumors.
No truth to reports Jairzinho Rozenstruik is fighting Derrick Lewis tomorrow, per sources.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 27, 2020
They were looking to rebook Lewis x Blaydes in December but January is looking more likely at this time, sources say.
The Heavyweight division is currently top heavy. With Francis Ngannou awaiting a title shot, Jon Jones entering the division and many more contenders looking to become the next one in line for a shot. Time will tell how the division plays out.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”