Curtis Blaydes and Derrick Lewis were set to go head to head this weekend in a vital heavyweight clash. Unfortunately, Blaydes has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 and the main event has been scrapped.
This news was broke by Ariel Helwani of ESPN MMA who has confirmed the situation with multiple sources:
Curtis Blaydes vs. Derrick Lewis — tomorrow night’s UFC main event — has been canceled, per multiple sources. Blaydes has tested positive for COVID.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 27, 2020
The promotion is hoping to reschedule the fight in December, sources say, though that isn’t a done deal just yet.
The weigh ins are currently going on right now, so it will be too late to find Lewis a replacement. The fight card was heavily reliant on this main event, and losing it will be a big blow to the UFC.
Anthony Smith v Devin Clark will now be a five round Main Event.
We wish Blaydes a speedy recovery.
- Paddy ‘The Baddy’ Pimblett signed to the UFC
- Zabit wants to be next in line for a title shot or face Max Holloway
- Islam Makhachev: “I don’t agree on Chandler being in there.”
- NiteTrain on fighting a Nurmagomedov: “I’m about to change their game.”
- VIDEO: Khabib coaches Holland cage-side to become first to take Brunson down in the UFC
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2