Curtis Blaydes and Derrick Lewis were set to go head to head this weekend in a vital heavyweight clash. Unfortunately, Blaydes has reportedly tested positive for Covid-19 and the main event has been scrapped.
This news was broke by Ariel Helwani of ESPN MMA who has confirmed the situation with multiple sources:
Curtis Blaydes vs. Derrick Lewis — tomorrow night’s UFC main event — has been canceled, per multiple sources. Blaydes has tested positive for COVID.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) November 27, 2020
The promotion is hoping to reschedule the fight in December, sources say, though that isn’t a done deal just yet.
The weigh ins are currently going on right now, so it will be too late to find Lewis a replacement. The fight card was heavily reliant on this main event, and losing it will be a big blow to the UFC.
Anthony Smith v Devin Clark will now be a five round Main Event.
We wish Blaydes a speedy recovery.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”