Paulo Costa is coming off the first professional loss of his career. He was TKO’d by Israel Adesanya, in what was also his first chance at UFC gold. This took place in September.
Derek Brunson on the other hand has never made the top 5 of the division, despite being touted to fight for a title in the near future, when he first entered the UFC. He is coming off a TKO win over the then undefeated, Edmen Shahbazyan and now Brunson wants a chance to finally break the top 5 of the division.
In an interview with MMA Junkie, Brunson discussed why he believes a fight against Paulo Costa makes perfect sense.
“You look at Paulo Costa, he was lobbying for a rematch in a title fight against Izzy. He didn’t look good in that fight. So when you get a title fight, and you don’t look good, you have to go back to the drawing board and you have to win two or theee. So it makes perfect sense for him to come and fight a number seven. He’s ranked two or three, two I believe.”
“Same as you’ve got Cannonier, I think he had a little injury, I’d be down for that fight. You got Till, huge name, I’d be down for that fight. Robert Whittaker, if Izzy goes up to 205, that then leaves Robert Whittaker open because there won’t be another fight with Izzy until October or November, or August, you know, really late. Then let’s say he goes and wins 205, who’s to say he even fights at 185 again? So guys want a fight and I’m looking for big fights and I’m in. There’s a lot of big fights that we can make happen, for sure.”
Paulo Costa is currently training to return after his first defeat, and a fight against Brunson could indeed make sense.
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.