Paulo Costa is coming off the first professional loss of his career. He was TKO’d by Israel Adesanya, in what was also his first chance at UFC gold. This took place in September.
Derek Brunson on the other hand has never made the top 5 of the division, despite being touted to fight for a title in the near future, when he first entered the UFC. He is coming off a TKO win over the then undefeated, Edmen Shahbazyan and now Brunson wants a chance to finally break the top 5 of the division.
In an interview with MMA Junkie, Brunson discussed why he believes a fight against Paulo Costa makes perfect sense.
“You look at Paulo Costa, he was lobbying for a rematch in a title fight against Izzy. He didn’t look good in that fight. So when you get a title fight, and you don’t look good, you have to go back to the drawing board and you have to win two or theee. So it makes perfect sense for him to come and fight a number seven. He’s ranked two or three, two I believe.”
“Same as you’ve got Cannonier, I think he had a little injury, I’d be down for that fight. You got Till, huge name, I’d be down for that fight. Robert Whittaker, if Izzy goes up to 205, that then leaves Robert Whittaker open because there won’t be another fight with Izzy until October or November, or August, you know, really late. Then let’s say he goes and wins 205, who’s to say he even fights at 185 again? So guys want a fight and I’m looking for big fights and I’m in. There’s a lot of big fights that we can make happen, for sure.”
Paulo Costa is currently training to return after his first defeat, and a fight against Brunson could indeed make sense.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”