Michael Chandler has been linked to a number of potential opponents since joining the UFC this year. He began as an alternate for the fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje. He was then asked by many fans to step in and face RDA when his fight with Islam Makhachev fell apart. But he stated he had other plans. Then, he and Tony Ferguson called each other out, but Ferguson wanted December and Chandler wanted January. Ferguson moved on and booked a fight against Charles Oliveira next month instead.
With Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier rematching next month, the question remains, who will Michael Chandler debut against? He has been adamant that he only wants a top five opponent, which leaves Justin Gaethje and Dan Hooker as viable options.
Now, Chandler has taken to Twitter, to say that he is beginning a fight camp.
Camp. Starts. Monday. #seeyousoon— Michael Chandler (@MikeChandlerMMA) November 25, 2020
“See you soon.”
Chandler was hopeful to get on the McGregor v Poirier card on January 23rd, so beginning a fight camp now seems like the proper timing, and that he’s likely gotten his wish.
Dan Hooker stated on Twitter last night that he’d like the opportunity to fight Justin Gaethje.
I would love the chance to compete against Justin, nothing but respect. 🙏 https://t.co/GLLGcplO12— Dan Hangman Hooker (@danthehangman) November 24, 2020
His head coach was also on Submission Radio yesterday, stating that Hooker would like to be a part of Conor McGregor’s ‘season’. He also stated that Hooker v Chandler in January is too soon and unlikely. So if Hooker is looking for opponents, it’s likely that he isn’t booked to face anyone yet.
This would leave the most logical match up to be Justin Gaethje, who has been quiet since his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov last month. But nothing is confirmed yet and Chandler isn’t giving much away.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”