Despite a seven fight win streak, it looked as though Charles Oliveira could be in danger of being overlooked in the Lightweight division. Most of the division’s top 5 contenders had their sights set on each other and no one else.
Fortunately for Oliveira, Tony Ferguson wanted to fight before the end of the year, and there weren’t many options in opponents, willing to fight in a few weeks. Oliveira stepped up to the plate, and the two will fight at UFC 256.
In an interview with UFC.com, Oliveira detailed the bout and what it means to him.
“I’m taking this fight on less than 20 days notice, but it’s a chance to display my talent and show I’m ready to fight any top 5 ranked guy, like I’ve been saying for a while now”, Oliveira told UFC.com on Tuesday. “The time has come. I will shock the world on Dec. 12.”
“I’m expecting this fight to be a war, because we’re both good on the feet and on the ground,” Oliveira said “We both like to fight, we both move forward. Fans can be sure this is going to be a war, but they can also be sure that when it’s done, my arm will be raised. It’s my moment. I respect Ferguson in every way – he’s tough, a fantastic guy – but now it’s my time.”
The two will fight on December 12th, for the final PPV of the year.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”