Despite a seven fight win streak, it looked as though Charles Oliveira could be in danger of being overlooked in the Lightweight division. Most of the division’s top 5 contenders had their sights set on each other and no one else.
Fortunately for Oliveira, Tony Ferguson wanted to fight before the end of the year, and there weren’t many options in opponents, willing to fight in a few weeks. Oliveira stepped up to the plate, and the two will fight at UFC 256.
In an interview with UFC.com, Oliveira detailed the bout and what it means to him.
“I’m taking this fight on less than 20 days notice, but it’s a chance to display my talent and show I’m ready to fight any top 5 ranked guy, like I’ve been saying for a while now”, Oliveira told UFC.com on Tuesday. “The time has come. I will shock the world on Dec. 12.”
“I’m expecting this fight to be a war, because we’re both good on the feet and on the ground,” Oliveira said “We both like to fight, we both move forward. Fans can be sure this is going to be a war, but they can also be sure that when it’s done, my arm will be raised. It’s my moment. I respect Ferguson in every way – he’s tough, a fantastic guy – but now it’s my time.”
The two will fight on December 12th, for the final PPV of the year.
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.