After Khabib Nurmagomedov defended his title against Justin Gaethje last month, it was a shock to the MMA community. So much so that UFC President, Dana White, doesn’t quite think it’ll stay that way.
The door to Khabib’s return has been left open. He is still the UFC Lightweight Champion, and he is still being tested by USADA. When most recently asked about it, Dana White said that he believes Khabib will be back to go for 30-0. He also mentioned that the two were planning to meet and talk about future plans.
Now, it looks like that time has come. Khabib has posted on social media that he will see Dana White soon.
Any further details are unclear at this point. But it could mean that we’ll know more about Khabib’s situation very soon.
The confirmation of Khabib’s retirement could of course mean that the Lightweight title is up for grabs. Conor McGregor, Dustin Poirier, Tony Ferguson and Charles Oliveira are all signed to fight over the next few weeks. This could lead to fighting for vacant title in the near future.
If Khabib has indeed not retired, then he will be obligated to defend the belt in the near future, meaning one of the other top contenders could be fighting for a shot at the man himself.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”