Francis Ngannou is coming off four back to back KO wins, all in the first round. He last fought in May, when he knocked out Jairzinho Rozenstruik in just 20 seconds. Since then he has been waiting for a second title shot against Stipe Miocic.
Miocic beat Ngannou by decision back in January 2018. Since then, he has fought Daniel Cormier once a year, as they completed a trilogy. This has somewhat held up the division and left Ngannou frustrated.
Although ‘The Predator’ has his sights set on the Champion, he did entertain the thought of an explosive match up with Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson.
“There’s a guy who people really want you to fight, his name is Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson.” Brian Campbell of Morning Kombat said. “I talked to ‘Rumble’ this year. I said, what about you at Heavyweight with a Ngannou? He said I would love that challenge. Does that kind of fight interest you, when you get the second biggest knockout puncher against the first biggest knockout puncher and see what happens?
“Yeah, I would be very interested in that fight,” Ngannou said. “Rumble Johnson is a guy that I respect a lot. I know him as a person, and I admire him as a person. It would be great to share the Octagon with him, no matter if it’s for the title or not.
“Even beyond Rumble Johnson I still have some dreams and some aspirations,” Ngannou continued. “But I have stay focused and realistic, and deal with the situation right now. Obviously that question has popped up before, and I would be down for that fight. It would such a great fight, and it would be such an honor to fight Rumble Johnson.”
Anthony Johnson is currently back in the USADA testing pool, and is expected to return to the UFC early next year.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”