Justin Gaethje is still currently ranked as the number one contender in the Lightweight division. He is coming off a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 254. Although Khabib announced his retirement after the fight, he is yet to vacate his title.
Out of the other top five contenders, Justin Gaethje has beaten Tony Ferguson and has been beaten by Dustin Poirier. Poirier is ranked number two, and is booked to face number four, Conor McGregor. Tony Ferguson is ranked number three and he is booked to face Charles Oliveira next month.
Ali Abdelaziz manages both Khabib and Justin. Since it now seems that Khabib has retired, his focus is likely on helping Justin secure the Lightweight title. In a Twitter post earlier today, Ali stated that Justin will smash number two, three and four of the division.
@Justin_Gaethje will smash 2/3/4 easy he is Number 1 never mind he killed number three 🤦🏿♂️— Ali Abdelaziz (@AliAbdelaziz00) November 24, 2020
Ali also stated that he killed number three, Tony Ferguson, whom Justin captured the Interim Lightweight title from, earlier in the year via TKO.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”