After Tony Ferguson told Michael Chandler that he wanted a fight in December and December only, he moved on and booked at bout with Charles Oliveira. This was due to Michael Chandler recently cutting weight for UFC 254, and not being willing to do so again, until January at the earliest.
The fight is currently being finalized and will take place at UFC 256 on December 12th. This will be Ferguson’s first fight since losing to Justin Gaethje, which halted a 12 fight win streak. Oliveira is currently riding a 7 fight win streak and this fight will be an opportunity for both to get in the title shot picture.
The betting odds have now been released, with Ferguson opening at a -180 favorite, and Oliveira a +155 underdog. However, just two days after the fight was announced, the odds narrowed, with Ferguson now at -140 and Oliveira +120.
This is interesting, as many, including Khabib Nurmagomedov, believe that after his last fight, Tony Ferguson could’ve taken too much damage and will not return the same fighter. Charles Oliveira on the other hand has been on fire, not losing since 2017.
Ferguson will certainly be the toughest opponent that Oliveira has faced in recent years though. Oliveira is yet to fight for a UFC title in his career, whereas Ferguson is the former Interim Champion and will be motivated to get back to winning ways.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”