The UFC returned last night with not one, but two Flyweight titles on the line. Also on the card was a whole host of contenders and prospects.
Figueiredo was defending his title for the first time, after defeating Joe Benavidez to claim the vacant belt. Shevchenko on the other hand was going for her fourth straight title defence. Below is the full list of results.
Deiveson Figueiredo def. Alex Perez via 1st round Submission
Some strong exchanges to open the bout and Perez looked game. But it took the Champion less than two minutes to get the job done. He caught Perez in a guillotine and locked it up early.
Valentina Shevchenko def. Jennifer Maia via Unanimous Decision
The fight wound up being mostly a grappling affair. Surprisingly, with Shevchenko initiating most of it. Both fighters had success, but it was the Champion who was a step in ahead. Going into the final round, Shevchenko then utilised her striking and finished strong, earning a decision victory.
Tim Means def. Mike Perry via Unanimous Decision
A fight that had a lot of fans excited with both fighters having a proven track record of exciting fight. Perry surprised many and began the fight by out grappling Means, almost locking in a rear naked choke. Means survived the grappling though and began taking over the fight on the feet, mostly with his jab. Until the third round, when both fighters began throwing caution to the wind and trading in the middle of octagon. It was Means who secured the fight by out striking Perry in round 2 and 3.
Katlyn Chookagian def. Cynthia Calvillo Unanimous Decision
A big fight between two top 5 women. It was predominantly a striking match, where both fighters had their moments. Ultimately, it was the higher output from Chookagian which sealed the decision victory.
Paul Craig def. Shogun Rua via 2nd round TKO
After a draw in their first outing, Paul Craig came with a clear game plan and looked to finish the bout this time. The striking was relatively even, with not a great deal of output from either fighter. It was clear that Craig planned on getting this one to the ground and utilising his grappling. Although he threatened with submissions and forced Shogun to tap, it was actually due to strikes. Craig had Rua flattened out with nowhere to go, dealing him brutal ground and pound until Shogun was forced to tap.
Brandon Moreno def. Brandon Royval via 1st round TKO
Joaquin Buckley def. Jordan Wright via 2nd round KO
Antonina Shevchenko def. Ariane Lipski via 2nd round TKO
Nicolas Dalby def. Daniel Rodriguez via Unanimous Decision
Alan Jouban def. Jared Gooden via Unanimous Decision
Kyle Daukaus def. Dustin Stoltzfus via Unanimous Decision
Sasha Palatnikov def. Louis Cosce via 3rd round TKO
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”