Anderson Silva is regarded as one of the greatest fighters of all time, by many fans around the world. He captured the UFC Middleweight title in 2006 and held onto it until 2013.
However, in recent years, the ‘The Spider’ has struggled to find the form he once had. In his last nine fights, he has won just one. It is worth noting that he has still been fighting top ranked opponents through the majority of his UFC career.
After his most recent KO loss to Uriah Hall, UFC President, Dana White had seen enough. He stated that although Silva had another fight left on his UFC contract, he didn’t plan on letting him fulfill it. White believed that Silva’s time had come to an end and he didn’t want to see the legend take any further punishment.
This caused some debate, as many, including Conor McGregor believed that if you have a passion, you should find the right level of competition and continue to pursue it. Advice that Anderson Silva seems to have taken, as he has now been released from his UFC contract, but seeks competition elsewhere.
In an Instagram post, he stated the below.
I didn’t want to talk about this subject, especially because I’m on vacation and as the saying goes, “a deal is a deal”
I’ll make it clear to all my fans that this is a moment of joy and gratitude!!!
I feel free, after an attempt to force my retirement!
I love and have always loved what I do, winning and losing are a part of it, it has absolutely nothing to do with age, I made technical mistakes and lost, but I didn’t lose what’s most important, the will and the desire to continue doing what I love, I still have the warrior spirit and that burning flame in my heart that motivates me, I have total belief that I can continue to compete in the elite of MMA.
I take this moment to reflect about my career and to plan my next moves… Stay Tuned!!!”
Bellator President, Scott Coker recently stated that he was not interested in signing Anderson Silva. So it will be interesting to see where he ends up next.
- Sean Strickland Claims He Would Take A Misdemeanour To Punch ‘Smug, Cocky Motherf*cker’ Luke Rockhold
- Dana White: Stipe Miocic Has Accepted A Fight Against Jon Jones
- Colby Covington Eyes Future Middleweight Move: “We’re Going To Beat Israel Adesanya”
- Dana White Unsure How A.J. McKee Would Perform In The UFC: “When His Contract Is Up He’ll Have To Call”
- Luke Rockhold Returns, Meets Sean Strickland At UFC 268 On Nov. 6
- Dustin Poirier Believes He’s ‘Done It All In MMA’ If He Can Win Title Against Charles Oliveira
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Islam Makhachev Slated For UFC 267 On Oct. 30 In Abu Dhabi
- Sean Strickland Claims He’d ‘Love’ To Kill Someone In The Ring: “It Would Make Me Super Happy”
- Brandon Moreno Explains How UFC Title Defence Against Cody Garbrandt Is A ‘Possibility’