Anderson Silva is regarded as one of the greatest fighters of all time, by many fans around the world. He captured the UFC Middleweight title in 2006 and held onto it until 2013.
However, in recent years, the ‘The Spider’ has struggled to find the form he once had. In his last nine fights, he has won just one. It is worth noting that he has still been fighting top ranked opponents through the majority of his UFC career.
After his most recent KO loss to Uriah Hall, UFC President, Dana White had seen enough. He stated that although Silva had another fight left on his UFC contract, he didn’t plan on letting him fulfill it. White believed that Silva’s time had come to an end and he didn’t want to see the legend take any further punishment.
This caused some debate, as many, including Conor McGregor believed that if you have a passion, you should find the right level of competition and continue to pursue it. Advice that Anderson Silva seems to have taken, as he has now been released from his UFC contract, but seeks competition elsewhere.
In an Instagram post, he stated the below.
I didn’t want to talk about this subject, especially because I’m on vacation and as the saying goes, “a deal is a deal”
I’ll make it clear to all my fans that this is a moment of joy and gratitude!!!
I feel free, after an attempt to force my retirement!
I love and have always loved what I do, winning and losing are a part of it, it has absolutely nothing to do with age, I made technical mistakes and lost, but I didn’t lose what’s most important, the will and the desire to continue doing what I love, I still have the warrior spirit and that burning flame in my heart that motivates me, I have total belief that I can continue to compete in the elite of MMA.
I take this moment to reflect about my career and to plan my next moves… Stay Tuned!!!”
Bellator President, Scott Coker recently stated that he was not interested in signing Anderson Silva. So it will be interesting to see where he ends up next.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”