Former UFC Interim Lightweight Champion, Tony Ferguson, looks to be getting his wish to fight again this year. He is finalizing a deal to face Charles Oliveira on December 12th.
It was looking likely that he’d welcome Michael Chandler to the UFC. They both expressed an interest in fighting the other, but Chandler wanted January and Ferguson wasn’t willing to wait. You can read about that HERE.
This news was first announced by Brett Okamoto of ESPN.
Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) will face Charles Oliveira (@CharlesDoBronxs) at UFC 256 on Dec. 12 in Las Vegas, per Dana White (@danawhite). Ferguson gets his wish to fight again before the end of 2020. Huge addition to that Dec. 12 event.— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) November 21, 2020
MMA Junkie has also reported the bout official, according to their sources.
Tony Ferguson booked to fight Charles Oliveira at UFC 256 https://t.co/gzwVAug7XY— MMA Junkie (@MMAjunkie) November 21, 2020
Oliveira is on a 7 fight win streak in the UFC, and has been seen as the dark horse of the division by many fans. He has been hoping for a top 5 opponent, so that he can edge closer to a title shot. This will be his opportunity to do so.
Ferguson hasn’t fought since his loss to Justin Gaethje, which snatched a 12 fight win streak, dating back to 2013.
UFC 256 will reportedly be headlined by Aljamain Sterling and Petr Yan for the Bantamweight title. Amanda Nunes was originally slated to headline, but pulled out due to undisclosed reasons.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”