Although Jussier Formiga is now on a three fight losing streak, his most recent loss came to Alex Perez, who is fighting for the UFC Flyweight title this weekend. He also holds a win over the current Flyweight Champion, Deiveson Figueiredo, just last year. That’s the only time the current Champion has lost a fight.
It was recently announced that Formiga was cut from the UFC. This came as a shock to most, as he was ranked #7 just last week. But it turns out that this may be just 1 of 75. In an interview with MMA Fighting, Formiga details the situation.
“My manager said I was on the final stages of recovery, but wasn’t 100 percent ready to fight yet, and they said OK,” Formiga said. “They contacted my manager again last week and said they were going to cut 75 athletes, and I was one of them. What am I going to do? If they decided to cut me, there’s nothing I can do.”
“When I won four in a row, they said they couldn’t create an interim belt because Cejudo had the undisputed [belt]. It’s complex to think that way. That’s why I say I didn’t feel completely valued in the UFC. And I was the only guy to beat the current champion [laughs]. They just don’t give a f*ck. If they wouldn’t value me, then I’ll find my value elsewhere. I’ll find out my true worth”.
Frankly, the UFC can do whatever they like. However, a talking point is that the UFC has given out 37 contracts via Dana White’s Contender Series.
This suggests a shift in the UFC’s policy. They appear to be more interested in signing and developing younger talent, as appose to investing further in experienced fighters who are coming off losses. Which may or may not necessarily be a bad thing.
- Dana White: We’re Working On Israel Adesanya vs. Robert Whittaker II For January
- Jose Aldo on Dominick Cruz: “He’s More Dedicated To The Broadcasts Than His Own Fighting Career.”
- Michael Chandler Preparing For ‘Hardest Fight’ Of His Life Against Justin Gaethje
- Report – Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo 3 Booked For UFC 269 On December 11.
- Sean Strickland Claims Luke Rockhold Is A ‘F*cking C*nt’ Who Deserves To ‘Go To Sleep Permanently’
- Conor McGregor: “You Think A Broken Bone Is Going To Stop Me? Think Again.”
- Luke Rockhold Plans To Take Out ‘B*tch’ Sean Strickland Before Fighting Israel Adesanya For Title
- Tom Aspinall Believes Stipe Miocic’s Best Days Are Behind Him: I Think He Should Leave It Now
- Luke Rockhold Responds To ‘F*cking Idiot’ Sean Strickland: “I’ll Be The One In Jail.”