Although Jussier Formiga is now on a three fight losing streak, his most recent loss came to Alex Perez, who is fighting for the UFC Flyweight title this weekend. He also holds a win over the current Flyweight Champion, Deiveson Figueiredo, just last year. That’s the only time the current Champion has lost a fight.
It was recently announced that Formiga was cut from the UFC. This came as a shock to most, as he was ranked #7 just last week. But it turns out that this may be just 1 of 75. In an interview with MMA Fighting, Formiga details the situation.
“My manager said I was on the final stages of recovery, but wasn’t 100 percent ready to fight yet, and they said OK,” Formiga said. “They contacted my manager again last week and said they were going to cut 75 athletes, and I was one of them. What am I going to do? If they decided to cut me, there’s nothing I can do.”
“When I won four in a row, they said they couldn’t create an interim belt because Cejudo had the undisputed [belt]. It’s complex to think that way. That’s why I say I didn’t feel completely valued in the UFC. And I was the only guy to beat the current champion [laughs]. They just don’t give a f*ck. If they wouldn’t value me, then I’ll find my value elsewhere. I’ll find out my true worth”.
Frankly, the UFC can do whatever they like. However, a talking point is that the UFC has given out 37 contracts via Dana White’s Contender Series.
This suggests a shift in the UFC’s policy. They appear to be more interested in signing and developing younger talent, as appose to investing further in experienced fighters who are coming off losses. Which may or may not necessarily be a bad thing.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”