Earlier today, it was confirmed that Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier would be fighting on January 23rd. McGregor had previously expressed an interest in fighting in a stadium, where fans will be allowed to attend. This doesn’t seem realistic for USA, but it is realistic for Abu Dhabi.
The UFC has held the majority of their events in Abu Dhabi since the pandemic began. They’ve dubbed Yas Island to be ‘Fight Island’. Dana White believes that McGregor v Poirier 2 will take place on Fight Island, and that fans may be back in attendance for the full experience.
Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier II is CONFIRMED, and @DanaWhite tells @RobbieBarstool he's hoping to have fans back in attendance for the fight!— Spinnin Backfist (@SpinninBackfist) November 19, 2020
FULL INTERVIEW: https://t.co/DgQsdULEWq pic.twitter.com/8tdJlSBLXM
“The new Etihad Arena will be open and that thing was designed with us in mind. Concerts, pool parties, all kinds of cool stuff. And yes, I hope to have fans back.”
Conor McGregor has brought in bigger gates than any other fighter in UFC history. This would be a great way to kick off the year, not just for the UFC, but for the fans too.
- Report – Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson Targeted For UFC Event On March 26.
- Clay Guida Offers Nate Diaz Rematch Following UFC Vegas 44 Win: ‘I’ll Give Him Another Chance’
- Aljamain Sterling Praises ‘Phenomenal’ Jose Aldo, Believes He Has ‘The Tools’ To Defeat Him
- Nate Diaz ‘Disrespected’ By UFC’s Offer Of Khamzat Chimaev: ‘Don’t Even Talk My Name’
- Sean O’Malley Claims He’s The ‘Unranked Champ’ At Bantamweight Ahead Of UFC 269
- Beneil Dariush Unwilling To Fight Justin Gaethje In The Future: ‘I Don’t Want To Fight A Friend’
- UFC Vegas 44: Font V Aldo Results And Review
- UFC Vegas 44: Font V Aldo Preview
- Report – Jack Hermansson vs. Sean Strickland Headlines UFC Event On February 5.