Earlier today, it was confirmed that Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier would be fighting on January 23rd. McGregor had previously expressed an interest in fighting in a stadium, where fans will be allowed to attend. This doesn’t seem realistic for USA, but it is realistic for Abu Dhabi.
The UFC has held the majority of their events in Abu Dhabi since the pandemic began. They’ve dubbed Yas Island to be ‘Fight Island’. Dana White believes that McGregor v Poirier 2 will take place on Fight Island, and that fans may be back in attendance for the full experience.
Conor McGregor vs Dustin Poirier II is CONFIRMED, and @DanaWhite tells @RobbieBarstool he's hoping to have fans back in attendance for the fight!— Spinnin Backfist (@SpinninBackfist) November 19, 2020
FULL INTERVIEW: https://t.co/DgQsdULEWq pic.twitter.com/8tdJlSBLXM
“The new Etihad Arena will be open and that thing was designed with us in mind. Concerts, pool parties, all kinds of cool stuff. And yes, I hope to have fans back.”
Conor McGregor has brought in bigger gates than any other fighter in UFC history. This would be a great way to kick off the year, not just for the UFC, but for the fans too.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”