Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier are set to rematch in January. Dustin Poirier is currently the number two ranked Lightweight in the UFC. It’s a fight that will likely make the winner the number one contender of the division, where Khabib Nurmagomedov is the Champion, and Justin Gaethje is ranked number one. However, Khabib beat Justin last month.
Ali Abdelaziz is Khabib Nurmagomedov and Justin Gaethje’s manager. In an interview with Brett Okamoto from ESPN MMA, Ali discusses whether Khabib Nurmagomedov would ever rematch Conor McGregor.
“I don’t think Khabib’s going to be like, oh I’m going to fight Conor if he wins. That’s just not something he thinks about.” Ali said.
“What if Conor beat Dustin in January?” Brett asked. “And that’s a big if, it’s a very competitive fight. Then what if he went and fought a winner of a Tony Ferguson and Michael Chandler and he beat them. What if Conor McGregor has this type of year in 2021 that almost reminds us of earlier in his career, when he’s just on fire. And now people are saying this is the guy, he’s healthy, he’s motivated, he’s focussed now. This Conor McGregor could beat Khabib Nurmagomedov. Do you think Khabib would be interested in that, would he get pulled in by that?”
“Listen, we all know he’s picking a guy he beat.” Ali responded. “I’m not saying Dustin is not good, Dustin is really good. But realistically if you really want to put yourself in this position, who’s number one? He could have called out Justin, but I know he turned down Justin two times.”
“How do you know he’s motivated? I’m sure Dana and Khabib will talk soon, they’re going to talk, they’re going to see each other.” Ali stated.
It’s currently unclear when the next title fight will take place in the Lightweight division. Although Khabib claimed he was retiring, he is still being tested by USADA and has not vacated his belt yet.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”