Michael Chandler was vocal that he’d like Tony Ferguson to be his first UFC opponent. After it was announced that Dustin Poirier has signed his bout agreement to face Conor McGregor, Chandler asked Ferguson to sign a contract to fight him.
Ferguson broke his silence a few days ago, saying that Chandler asked for it and he’s going to give him it. He asked Chandler to face him in December, which would most likely be at UFC 256.
However, Chandler has now responded and told ESPN that there is 0% chance he faces Ferguson this year.
Michael Chandler (@MikeChandlerMMA) isn't interested in fighting Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) in 3.5 weeks. He IS interested in fighting him in the co-main event, on the same night as McGregor vs. Poirier. https://t.co/uyiDyXlvjG— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) November 18, 2020
“There is a 0% chance I’ll fight Tony Ferguson in December,” Chandler told ESPN on Tuesday. “And I 100% know he knew that, because the UFC already told him that, and I’ve already said I’ll see him in January.”
Chandler is hoping to be the co main event of UFC 257, which will be headlined by McGregor and Poirier.
Ferguson has now responded and he isn’t happy with the former Bellator champion.
UFC has said you have already accepted Another Fight ese! So @MikeChandlerMMA stop crying to @espnmma about fighting me. You want to compete against me I’ll be in Vegas Dec 12. Accept or we move on. -Champ Shit Only™️ kid ⚔️🕶 🇺🇸🏆🇲🇽 F’kn #AmateurHour # BeGon’Thot pic.twitter.com/Ua4p4moi8W— Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) November 18, 2020
“UFC has said you have already accepted another fight ese! So Michael Chandler stop crying to ESPN MMA about fighting me. You want to compete against me I’ll be in Vegas Dec 12. Accept or we move on.”
Chandler isn’t engaging much, but has responded with a clear and simple message:
Still open for a scrap in January…see you there.— Michael Chandler (@MikeChandlerMMA) November 18, 2020
The clock is ticking, so we expect a bout agreement will need to be in place in the next couple of weeks, or this fight may not happen anytime soon.
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.