Last night, Dana White’s Contender Series returned for the final time this year. The show is an opportunity for up and coming talent to fight and earn a UFC contract.
The card included 10 fighters in 5 different bouts. Featuring two women’s bouts and three men’s bouts. Four fighters were awarded a contract and the other was offered a spot on The Ultimate Fighter.
Below are the full results.
JP Buys vs. Jacob Silva via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:54
Buys wasted no time getting the fight to the ground and putting together solid sub attempts. There was no quit in Silva though, who survived the early onslaught. Marc Goddard, the referee believed Silva to be out cold in a guillotine towards the end of the round, and stopped the fight. Silva popped right up and protested the stoppage, but the referee had already declared the contest.
Buys was awarded a UFC contract.
Nick Maximov def. Oscar Cota via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)
Maximov trains with the Diaz brothers and his attitude showed it. At just 22 years old with a record of 6-0, he stepped in and fought a heavyweight who weighed in 50lbs heavier than him. Despite usually fighting at Middleweight, he outgrappled the larger man to a decision.
Dana White didn’t offer him a UFC contract, but to be on The Ultimate Fighter instead.
Gloria de Paula def. Pauline Macias via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
Macias was a friend of Ronda Rousey’s with a Judo background. However, De Paula secured an extremely dominant decision victory with multiple 10-8 rounds. She is just 25 years old and will be bright prospect.
Gloria de Paula was awarded a contract.
Tucker Lutz def. Sherrard Blackledge via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Lutz came in on a 10 fight win streak. He’d been on the show before and won by decision. He promised a finish this time but a chest injury in round 2 took some of his explosion away. His opponent was 5-0, but he secured a dominated decision win.
Tucker Lutz was given a contract.
Victoria Leonardo def. Chelsea Hackett via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:41
Leonardo has fought in Invicta which is a premiere women’s organisation for MMA. She took some damage and faced difficulties, but took over the grappling, mounting Hackett for an extended period of time until stopping her with strikes.
Victoria Leonardo was awarded a contract.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”