After Khabib Nurmagomedov announced his retirement last month, the question was what will become of the UFC Lightweight title. Usually in this scenario, the Champion vacates the belt and two top contenders face off to claim it.
Shortly after this was announced, Conor McGregor announced that he was dedicating 2021 to the Lightweight division, after rumours the Poirier rematch could be at 170lbs.
However, Khabib is yet to be stripped, or voluntarily vacate the belt. UFC President, Dana White believes that Khabib will be returning for one more fight, and that is the reason he is still the Champion.
Last night, after Dana White’s Contender Series, he was asked whether McGregor v Poirier 2 could be for the Lightweight title.
“No, Khabib’s going to fight, I believe he’s going to. It’s not for the title.” White answered.
If that’s the case, it begs the question of what is next for ‘The Eagle’ and if the winner of McGregor v Poirier could be in line for another shot at the Russian.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”