Last night, after Dana White’s Contender Series, the UFC President took part in a media scrum. He was asked about Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier potentially fighting for the Lightweight title, and whether we’ll see Khabib Nurmagomedov in the octagon again.
Khabib of course recently announced his retirement. This came after he extended his record to 29-0 when he defended his title against Justin Gaethje. A part of the decision was also the passing of his father, who wanted Khabib to retire at 30-0.
This line of questioning came after Khabib himself revealed he was still being drug tested, which is usually only done by athletes in competition. You can read about it HERE.
“Khabib Nurmagomedov, we seen him get tested by USADA recently, have you had a conversation with him yet since Abu Dhabi?” The journalist asked.
“I didn’t know that, I didn’t know that happened.” Dana White responded. “But yeah, I told you guys that I think he’s going to go to 30 [wins]. Why the hell would you want a test still if you’re not going to fight?”
“Have you guys talked? Has he committed to that yet?” The journalist asked.
“He hasn’t committed but I feel like he’s going to.” White responded.
Shortly after, Dana White was questioned in regards to McGregor v Poirier 2 and whether it could potentially be for the Lightweight title, if Khabib does indeed vacate it.
“Would that possibly be for a title fight?” White was asked.
“No, Khabib’s going to fight, I believe he’s going to. It’s not for the title.” White answered.
McGregor and Poirier are scheduled to fight in January. Nurmagomedov will only be allowed a certain amount of time before he is either forced to defend his title, or vacate it.
- Ali Abdelaziz on Tony Ferguson: “I think it’s going to be the last fight of his career.”
- Aleksandar Rakic ‘motivated’ and ‘excited’ for Jiri Prochazka: “This fight makes sense.”
- Covington on Nick Diaz: “Everybody knows he’s coming back for a cash grab. He’s washed up.”
- Ali Abdelaziz wants Gaethje versus Felder: “For fun, for the fans.”
- Beneil Dariush on Tony Ferguson: “He’s either #1 or #2 as the greatest lightweights of all time.”
- Kamaru Usman wants Michael Chiesa on June 12th: “Let’s throw [him] a bone.”
- Giga Chikadze calls to headline against ‘Cowboy’ next week after 1st round TKO.
- Diego Sanchez cut by the UFC as video surfaces of confrontation at his fighter meeting.
- Whittaker talks about Adesanya “losing his invincibility bubble.”