Last night, after Dana White’s Contender Series, the UFC President took part in a media scrum. He was asked about Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier potentially fighting for the Lightweight title, and whether we’ll see Khabib Nurmagomedov in the octagon again.
Khabib of course recently announced his retirement. This came after he extended his record to 29-0 when he defended his title against Justin Gaethje. A part of the decision was also the passing of his father, who wanted Khabib to retire at 30-0.
This line of questioning came after Khabib himself revealed he was still being drug tested, which is usually only done by athletes in competition. You can read about it HERE.
“Khabib Nurmagomedov, we seen him get tested by USADA recently, have you had a conversation with him yet since Abu Dhabi?” The journalist asked.
“I didn’t know that, I didn’t know that happened.” Dana White responded. “But yeah, I told you guys that I think he’s going to go to 30 [wins]. Why the hell would you want a test still if you’re not going to fight?”
“Have you guys talked? Has he committed to that yet?” The journalist asked.
“He hasn’t committed but I feel like he’s going to.” White responded.
Shortly after, Dana White was questioned in regards to McGregor v Poirier 2 and whether it could potentially be for the Lightweight title, if Khabib does indeed vacate it.
“Would that possibly be for a title fight?” White was asked.
“No, Khabib’s going to fight, I believe he’s going to. It’s not for the title.” White answered.
McGregor and Poirier are scheduled to fight in January. Nurmagomedov will only be allowed a certain amount of time before he is either forced to defend his title, or vacate it.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”