Fighter of the Year candidate, Khamzat Chimaev has just took another step in the right direction. After entering the UFC just a few months ago and finishing all three of his opponent to date in dominant fashion, he has now entered the UFC rankings, according to Ashah Tafari, who is on the rankings panel.
Nate Diaz has not fought since his bout with Jorge Masvidal over a year ago, and it’s not uncommon for him to spend an extended period of time without a fight lined up. According to the new rankings screenshot, Nate Diaz has now been removed, along with Rafael Dos Anjos (who has entered the Lighweight rankings). This has made room for up and comer Chimaev, who currently sits at number 15, first reported by the below journalist who is a member of the rankings panel.
UFC sensation @KChimaev is officially ranked in the top 15. He enters at #15 in the welterweight division.— Ashah Tafari (@mma_ashah) November 16, 2020
This is the UFC’s updated WW rankings, to be released soon:#KhamzatChimaev #UFC #MMA pic.twitter.com/72eVmDq5E2
Although Chimaev has only fought once at Welterweight in the UFC and twice at Middleweight, he is scheduled to face #3 Welterweight contender, Leon Edwards next month.
Now, the UFC app has released the updated rankings:
- Usman on breaking Covington’s jaw being “probably” one of the favorite moments in his career.
- Dana White unsure on Nick Diaz’ future: “Fighting is a young man’s game.”
- Garbrandt questions Dillashaw’s abilities without “having a needle shoved up his ass.”
- Dana White: “Imagine Chandler and Gaethje… that’d be a fun fight.”
- Tony Ferguson: “I’m competing regularly again… don’t count me out.”
- UFC rankings update: Dariush and McGregor move up the 155lbs ladder
- Tony Ferguson says he is not retiring: “Now I’m pissed.”
- Jon Jones: “My first fight back is going to be huge.”
- Ali Abdelaziz outlines how Michael Chandler can fight Justin Gaethje next.