After Gilbert Burns dominated Tyron Woodley back in May, his spot as the number one contender was cemented. He was slated to face Kamaru Usman in July for the belt, but unfortunately tested positive for covid shortly before the date. Jorge Masvidal stepped in on short notice, and Usman retained his title.
The bout was then looking to be rescheduled for December, but Usman told the UFC he needed more time to heal some injuries and prepare. After which, many fighters such as Leon Edwards tried to step in and face Burns for the number one contender status. But Burns would not budge, and has waited for his shot at the 170lbs championship.
Now, it has been reported that the fight is being targeted for February 13th at UFC 258 and it’s been verbally agreed between both fighters. The card is also targeting a rematch between Chris Weidman and Uriah Hall, which you can read about HERE.
Per Combate, the UFC are targeting February 13 for the re-booked bout between Kamaru Usman and Gilbert Burns for the UFC welterweight title. https://t.co/ZBX5A39IQj— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) November 17, 2020
Burns was even kind enough to respond to a fan on Instagram, confirming the bout will headline UFC 258.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”