Back in 2015, Fabricio Werdum became the UFC Heavyweight Champion by submitting Cain Velasquez. He then lost the title to Stipe Miocic in 2016, who still holds the belt today.
Werdum is considered by many as one of the best Heavyweights of all time. He holds wins over Fedor Emelianenko, Mark Hunt, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and many more over the years. Now, he has reportedly not renewed his UFC contract and joined PFL.
PFL CEO Peter Murray has confirmed the news in a statement to ESPN.
“I am honored to welcome Fabricio Werdum, one of the best heavyweight MMA fighters of all time, to Professional Fighters League,” Murray said. “Our 2021 season roster is stacked with top fighters from around the world, including Fabricio, who are all gearing up for what will be an epic season starting this April on ESPN.”
Werdum made his feelings well known and has wished to leave the UFC for some time. His first choice was reportedly Bellator, but after stalled negotiations, he wound up signing with PFL.
PFL is the first professional MMA organization to present MMA in a format in which individual athletes compete in a regular season, post-season, and championship. It acquired World Series of Fighting in 2017 and is one of the fastest rising organisations in the sport.
- Sean Strickland Claims He Would Take A Misdemeanour To Punch ‘Smug, Cocky Motherf*cker’ Luke Rockhold
- Dana White: Stipe Miocic Has Accepted A Fight Against Jon Jones
- Colby Covington Eyes Future Middleweight Move: “We’re Going To Beat Israel Adesanya”
- Dana White Unsure How A.J. McKee Would Perform In The UFC: “When His Contract Is Up He’ll Have To Call”
- Luke Rockhold Returns, Meets Sean Strickland At UFC 268 On Nov. 6
- Dustin Poirier Believes He’s ‘Done It All In MMA’ If He Can Win Title Against Charles Oliveira
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Islam Makhachev Slated For UFC 267 On Oct. 30 In Abu Dhabi
- Sean Strickland Claims He’d ‘Love’ To Kill Someone In The Ring: “It Would Make Me Super Happy”
- Brandon Moreno Explains How UFC Title Defence Against Cody Garbrandt Is A ‘Possibility’