Islam Makhachev is one of the top prospects in the UFC’s Lightweight division. He is a long time training partner of the current Champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov. ‘The Eagle’ believes that Islam will be the next dominant Champion of the division, and has recently announced his retirement.
Scheduled to fight Rafael Dos Anjos this weekend, Islam was unfortunately forced out of the bout due to medical issues. Meaning he will have to wait a little bit longer before he can break into the top 5 of the division. RDA went ahead and won his fight against Paul Felder, who stepped in for Islam. Makhachev congratulated the former Champion, but was vocal that he still wants to face him in the near future. You can see the tweet below.
Great fight @RdosAnjosMMA congrats! Let’s finish our business in nearest future 👊🏼— Makhachev Islam (@MAKHACHEVMMA) November 15, 2020
RDA is now likely the one knocking on the door of the top 5 contenders, so Makhachev may have to face someone else first before he gets a crack at Dos Anjos. The 155lbs is stacked full of contenders, so it shouldn’t be long before we see Islam back in action.
- Paddy ‘The Baddy’ Pimblett signed to the UFC
- Zabit wants to be next in line for a title shot or face Max Holloway
- Islam Makhachev: “I don’t agree on Chandler being in there.”
- NiteTrain on fighting a Nurmagomedov: “I’m about to change their game.”
- VIDEO: Khabib coaches Holland cage-side to become first to take Brunson down in the UFC
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2