Islam Makhachev is one of the top prospects in the UFC’s Lightweight division. He is a long time training partner of the current Champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov. ‘The Eagle’ believes that Islam will be the next dominant Champion of the division, and has recently announced his retirement.
Scheduled to fight Rafael Dos Anjos this weekend, Islam was unfortunately forced out of the bout due to medical issues. Meaning he will have to wait a little bit longer before he can break into the top 5 of the division. RDA went ahead and won his fight against Paul Felder, who stepped in for Islam. Makhachev congratulated the former Champion, but was vocal that he still wants to face him in the near future. You can see the tweet below.
Great fight @RdosAnjosMMA congrats! Let’s finish our business in nearest future 👊🏼— Makhachev Islam (@MAKHACHEVMMA) November 15, 2020
RDA is now likely the one knocking on the door of the top 5 contenders, so Makhachev may have to face someone else first before he gets a crack at Dos Anjos. The 155lbs is stacked full of contenders, so it shouldn’t be long before we see Islam back in action.
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”
- Scott Coker says Anthony Pettis vs MVP “would be a lot of fun.”
- DC on Khabib: “I don’t think it’s going to be money that makes him go back.”
- Sean O’Malley: “12-0. Chito sucks.”
- ‘Wonderboy’ says he will be Champ in 2021, calls for a rematch with Jorge Masvidal
- Anthony Pettis wants to rematch Tony Ferguson: “I think that’ll be a good fight for me.”