Not short of confidence, despite being in the UFC for just a few months, Khamzat Chimaev has been vocal on an eventual fight with Israel Adesanya. Chimaev is currently bouncing between the Welterweight and Middleweight division, and is willing to take on all comers. Next up, he faces number 3 ranked Welterweight contender, Leon Edwards.
Chimaev has posted back to back messages on social media, directed at Israel Adesanya. Firstly, he posted a fan made image of the two facing off. He then posted a video of one of his own fights, where he picks his opponent up, runs to the other side of the cage and slams him down. You can see the tweets below.
“You want to fly? @stylebender.”
Israel Adesanya has not responded yet, but he is currently in talks to move up a division and fight Jan Blachowicz for the 205lbs title.
The Middleweight division currently doesn’t have a clear number one contender lined up for a title shot. You’d have to say it’s Robert Whittaker. However, Whittaker was knocked out by Adesanya just last year, so the rematch doesn’t appear to interest ‘Stylebender’ yet. The Welterweight division on the other hand is quite stacked. Chimaev’s opponent is on an 8 fight win streak, and is yet to receive a title shot. Gilbert Burns is currently in line for the next crack at Kamaru Usman, and you also have Colby Covington and Jorge Masvidal waiting in the wings.
Chimaev may be thinking ahead, that he is more likely to get a shot at the Middleweight strap sooner than the Welterweight one.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”