Gilbert Burns was supposed to be fighting for the UFC Welterweight title in December, against Kamaru Usman. However, Usman needed more time after his bout with Jorge Masvidal, and is looking at a date in March.
Last month, Nate Diaz posted a video of Gilbert Burns being knocked out by fellow UFC contender, Dan Hooker. The video didn’t have a caption, so it was unclear what message Nate was sending and why he suddenly directed his attention to Burns. You can see the video below.
Now, Burns has called Diaz out, in the hopes of staying active before his title shot. The callout is for a grappling match with Submission Underground, which is an organisation aired on UFC Fight Pass, known for pitting UFC fighters together. Burns offered that they each put $200K in and the winner takes all. The message was also accompanied with two pictures of Diaz taking damage from RDA and Josh Thompson, fights that he lost. You can view the tweet below.
So as my title fight is not scheduled yet, Let’s grapple! Let’s see who is the real gangster @NateDiaz209 so I put $200,000 you put $200,000 winner takes all at @ChaelSonnen @UFCFightPass what you say? pic.twitter.com/yaUFxUO6Ep— GILBERT BURNS DURINHO (@GilbertDurinho) November 13, 2020
Nate Diaz has not fought since he faced Jorge Masvidal for the ‘BMF’ belt and lost, roughly one year ago. Although Nate Diaz is well known for his boxing, he is also renowned for his grappling pedigree. Cesar Gracie trained and managed Nate for years, and the Gracies are pioneers of the sport, famous for bringing BJJ to the UFC. 55% of Nate’s MMA wins have come via Submission, more than any other method on his record.
Nate Diaz is yet to respond, and it’s likely that he’ll never bother. But this could materialise into something more in the future.
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”