Earlier in the year, Jon Jones defeated Dominic Reyes, in what was his 11th title defence in the Light Heavyweight division. Shortly after this, he announced that he will be vacating his belt and moving up to the Heavyweight division for a fresh challenge. One of his first callouts was a fight with Francis Ngannou, but according to Jones, the UFC were not willing to pay him what he deserved to do so. Now he is taking some time to bulk up, while he assesses his options.
Anthony Smith fought Jon Jones last year, and lost a unanimous decision. In an interview with MMA Crazy, ‘Lionheart’ discussed Jon Jones’ step up to the Heavyweight division, and how he matches up against them.
“Stipe will give him problems. I think a guy like Volkov will give him problems. I know that one’s kind of surprising, a lot of people don’t see that. But that’s the one guy I don’t think anybody’s thinking about that will give Jon Jones problems.” Smith says.
“Not to be disrespectful to the rest of the division but, you know… Francis maybe. But being honest I think Francis Ngannou, as long as Jon doesn’t get caught, Francis Ngannou is one of the easier fights in the division for Jon. Because of his style.”
“I think Jon clinches Francis, trips him and mauls him. But again, you can never count out Francis, that dude’s got grenades in his hands.”
Francis Ngannou is currently expected to fight Stipe Miocic in March for the Heavyweight title, but nothing is confirmed yet.
- Dana White: We’re Working On Israel Adesanya vs. Robert Whittaker II For January
- Jose Aldo on Dominick Cruz: “He’s More Dedicated To The Broadcasts Than His Own Fighting Career.”
- Michael Chandler Preparing For ‘Hardest Fight’ Of His Life Against Justin Gaethje
- Report – Brandon Moreno vs. Deiveson Figueiredo 3 Booked For UFC 269 On December 11.
- Sean Strickland Claims Luke Rockhold Is A ‘F*cking C*nt’ Who Deserves To ‘Go To Sleep Permanently’
- Conor McGregor: “You Think A Broken Bone Is Going To Stop Me? Think Again.”
- Luke Rockhold Plans To Take Out ‘B*tch’ Sean Strickland Before Fighting Israel Adesanya For Title
- Tom Aspinall Believes Stipe Miocic’s Best Days Are Behind Him: I Think He Should Leave It Now
- Luke Rockhold Responds To ‘F*cking Idiot’ Sean Strickland: “I’ll Be The One In Jail.”