Submission Underground is a grappling event presented by former UFC title challenger, Chael Sonnen. It’s aired live, exclusively on UFC Fight Pass.
The event has recently announced that on December 20th, they’ll be putting on a huge end of year show, featuring multiple fighters from the UFC roster. Including Derrick Lewis, Donald Cerrone, Rafael Dos Anjos, Anthony Johnson and more.
Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone vs RDA is a fight that will ring a bell amongst UFC fans. The two have faced off twice before in the octagon, with RDA being victorious on both occasions. Most recently, it was Cerrone’s chance at UFC gold, but he was knocked out in the first round by the Brazilian.
Anthony ‘Rumble’ Johnson vs Fabricio Werdum is a very interesting matchup. Rumble is known for his devastating knockout power, but 83% of his MMA losses have come via submission. So a grappling tournament doesn’t seem best suited to his abilities. Furthermore, to make things more difficult, he is taking on one of the most decorated grapplers in UFC history, Fabricio Werdum. Werdum won the UFC heavyweight title by submitting Cain Velasquez back in 2015.
Finally, a match between Derrick Lewis and Ryan Bader is another example of a striker vs grappler, in terms of their MMA performances. Lewis has been working on his grappling lately, as it was previously a weakness exploited in the UFC once too often. Bader on the other hand is known for his wrestling, once displayed in the UFC, but he now fights for Bellator.
Mark your calendars, it should be a fun one!
- Davey Grant on Sean O’Malley’s hype: “I think he’s still yet to live up to it.”
- UFC Rankings Update: Michael Chandler replaces Conor McGregor in top 5
- McGregor’s Head Coach: Conor may go to Boxing if he doesn’t receive immediate rematch
- Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on McGregor v Poirier 2
- Michael Chandler on Dan Hooker: “It’s not a fight that favors me in a lot of ways”.
- Hooker on Usman changing camp: “maybe he was the one who needed to change”.
- Dana White says Nate Diaz is returning to 155lbs and has been offered a fight
- Ali Abdelaziz says Chimaev v Edwards “Will not go over 2 rounds”
- Colby Covington: The UFC told me Jorge Masvidal “doesn’t want to fight me.”